The Library will have a delayed opening Friday, August 12 at 1:00pm.
Anti-Racism & Xenophobia StatementMarch 26, 2021
In the wake of the recent murders in Atlanta of eight individuals, including six women of Asian descent, as well as increased anti-Asian rhetoric and violence, the La Grange Public Library reiterates its statement against racism and xenophobia. We stand with the Asian Pacific American Librarians Association (APALA) and the Illinois Library Association in condemning the rise in Anti-Asian hate crimes.
As a public library, all are welcome and are treated with dignity and respect. We prioritize equal access and the freedom to learn, explore and connect without fear. We urge our community to stand with us by publicly condemning racism and working to make our country a more equitable and peaceful place. We have provided resources curated by our librarians and the APALA as we strive to promote justice.
Available at the La Grange Public Library:
- Picture Books: Asian Family Lives
- Chapter Books: Asian Lives
- Young Adult Books Featuring Asian Americans
- Adult Non-Fiction Books: Asian Experience
- Adult Fiction Books: Asian Experience
Additional Anti-Racist Resources (provided by the APALA):
- 2021 COVID-19 anti-xenophobia and anti-racist information resources
- COVID-19 Anti-Asian Racism Resources for K-12
Signed in solidarity,
Joyce Hagen-McIntosh, President of the Library Board of Trustees
Charity Gallardo, Executive Director