- We're open! What you need to know before your visit.
- Visit the front desk for holds pick up, or call 708-215-3200 & request curbside pick up. Please have your library card or card number for holds pick up.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Register today to start your child on their reading journey!
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is an exciting program that helps kids gain the confidence to become strong readers, and encourages caregiver and child interaction through sharing books. The challenge is simple: read a book, any book, to your child with a goal of 1,000 before kindergarten. Register your child at the Children's Services desk, and they'll win fun prizes along the way!
Why? Reading is associated as an early indicator of academic success. This provides a simple yet fun approach to early literacy.
How to Participate:
- Infants, toddlers and preschoolers are eligible to participate by registering at Children’s Services.
Start reading together. Read a book (any book) and track it on your child’s reading log. Yes, you can repeat books!
- When you reach a milestone, bring your log to the Library. The program is self-paced and can take a few months to a few years depending on how often you read.
- Need book suggestions? Visit us at the Reference Desk or check out these lists:
Ready to record your next 100 books but can't make it in to the Library? Download the recording sheets here, and then bring them in or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to show us your hard work!